Support the Farm Bill Denham Amendment
The amendment would add the following new section to the Act:
SEC. 30. PROHIBITION OF SLAUGHTER OF DOGS AND CATS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
- “(a) PROHIBITION – No person may –
- “(1) knowingly slaughter a dog or cat for human consumption; or
- “(2) knowingly ship, transport, move, deliver, receive, possess, purchase, sell, or donate –
- “(A) a dog or cat to be slaughtered for human consumption; or
- “(B) dog or cat parts for human consumption.
- “(b) PENALTY – Any person who violates this section shall be subject to imprisonment for not more than 1 year, or a fine of not more than $2,500, or both.
- “(c) SCOPE – Subsection (a) shall apply only with respect to conduct in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce or within the special maritime territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
While there may not be a large number of people in the US who eat dogs and cats, the enactment of such legislation would be a signal to the rest of the world that America considers this an important enough matter to have a law prohibiting it. Where the US leads, the rest of the world tends to follow.
In order to get Congress to take action and add the amendment to the bill, we must have a petition signed by 100,000 people by the beginning of June.
If you care about stopping the consumption, and consequent brutal treatment, of dogs and cats, please consider signing the petition.